On the one hand, the maximum recommended daily value of cholesterol in a healthy diet is 300 mg¹. On the other hand, one chicken egg contains 180-200 mg of cholesterol – that is, it covers about 60% of the daily requirement for cholesterol. Try eggs on crepe maker pan.

Based on this data, the Ministry of Health’s nutritional guidelines recommend 0.5 eggs per day (that is, about 4 eggs per week). In practice, however, at least two eggs are used to make one serving of eggs. What happens to the body if you eat 3 eggs daily?

Daily rate of eggs

Traditionally, cholesterol in food has been regarded as a dangerous substance for health. Research has shown that high blood cholesterol is associated with a higher risk of heart disease, and even the risk of premature death¹.

For this reason, it was recommended to limit the consumption of chicken eggs to 3-4 eggs per week. Or, at least, eat only proteins (cholesterol is contained in the yolk) – athletes who eat to gain muscle mass do so to this day.

Modern nutritionists clarify – the transformation of cholesterol from food into blood cholesterol, although it takes place, has little effect on overall performance. If the body gets more of this substance with food, the liver reduces its production – thus maintaining normal levels.

Should we be afraid of cholesterol?

Cholesterol (literally translated from the Greek as “hard bile”) is a polyatomic alcohol found in the cell membranes of humans and animals. It is essential for the production of vitamin D as well as various steroid hormones (including cortisol, testosterone, and estrogen).

The modern position is that high blood cholesterol is not so much a consequence of excess cholesterol in food, but a secondary consequence of a number of metabolic disorders (obesity, diabetes, changes in liver function). Excessive trans fats also have an effect.

In fact, in a day the body produces about 2.5 grams of cholesterol¹ (saturated fats are the material) – while with food comes about 5-10 times less.

Can I eat eggs every day?

The question of the maximum amount of eggs allowed for daily consumption is thoroughly studied by science. Specifically, there are complete studies in which one group consumed 1-3 eggs a day, the other group consumed egg substitutes.

The results of the studies:

  • “good” cholesterol levels increased in most cases
  • bad cholesterol remained unchanged or increased only slightly
  • Consumption of omega-3 eggs lowered triglyceride levels in the blood
  • Eggs visibly increased carotenoid blood levels.

Important reservations

It should be noted that the consumption of 3 eggs a day had no effect on bad cholesterol levels in 70% of the people – in the remaining 30% of cases, there was an increased sensitivity to dietary cholesterol, manifested by an increase in blood cholesterol values (but again, not significantly).

But even in this case, we were talking about larger molecules of “bad” cholesterol – whereas the danger to blood vessels is mainly caused by small and medium-sized molecules.